We love chocolate! But your pets don’t.. Let’s talk about ‘chocolate poisoning’.


Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine which stimulates the nervous system.

Theobromine is toxic to your four-legged friends as they can’t break down the chemicals in their system.

How toxic theobromine can be is based on dosage. This means that how it may impact your pet depends on their size vs the amount and type of chocolate consumed.


Symptoms of ‘chocolate poisoning’ can occur within 24 hours.

They can be:

  • Trembling
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Increased drinking and increased urination
  • Increased heart rate
  • Muscle tremors and seizures


If your pet has ingested chocolate (even a small piece) it is encouraged to contact your local veterinary clinic as soon as you can for advice.