Brought to you by WagTime
We don’t need to tell you that summer is hot in our sunburnt country and sometimes keeping your pets cool can be a challenge. Pets Domain has ten tips to help keep your furry and feathered friends comfortable this summer.
All pets will benefit from cool, clean water, which should be kept in the shade. Ensure that water is changed daily and that if you aren’t at home on hot days, there is an ample supply for your pet to access.
- Be sure to walk dogs in the morning or evening, avoiding the hottest part of the day from 11am-3pm
- Ensure that your pet has access to shade
- Apply sunscreen if your dog doesn’t have a thick coat
- If you’re home, set up a play pool
- Bring your pets inside on really hot days
- If you own a little pet like a rabbit, guinea pig, rat, mouse or bird and they live in a cage or hutch be sure to move them indoors in an air-conditioned environment where they can be kept cool
- Cool mats can be helpful during the warmer months
- Treat all your furry and feathered friends to frozen peeled bananas. Don’t give your pets frozen dairy like ice cream or milk as these can cause tummy upsets. For dogs, Pets Domain have a great range of toys that you can freeze
- Give dogs a cool bath in the shade
- Don’t forget to never leave pets alone in a vehicle